About The Lake Norden Cheese Company
A Division of Davisco Foods International, Inc.
408 Dakota Street P.O. Box 169
Lake Norden, South Dakota 57248-0169
Everyday at Lake Norden Cheese:
- 60+ truckloads of raw milk received
- 7+ truckloads of cheese shipped
- 4 + truckloads of lactose and protein powders are shipped all over U.S. and overseas.
- An average of 1 load of cream shipped to butter and ice cream plants across the United States.
- Over 225,000 gal. (about 1,900,000 lbs.) of useable water is produced.
- 3,000,000 lbs. of milk is processed into 300,000 lbs. of cheese.
- Pasteurizer processes 120,000 lbs. of raw milk per hour.
- 6 horizontal cheese vats have the capacity of 62,000 lbs. of milk each.
- 4 enclosed finishing vats able to process 16,000 pounds of cheese an hour
- 1 cooker stretcher
- 2 rotary molder chillers
- 17 cage brine pit for pasta filata mozzarella process
- 5 Stoelting Block Forming Towers
- PLCs control variables such as pump speed, flow rates, volume, cook time, cook temp, and cultures.
- Everyday approximately 2,800,000 lbs of liquid whey is converted into various whey proteins, lactose and potable water. The water extracted from the whey is used internally for temperature control and cleaning.
- In spring of 2007 another lactose dryer was installed doubling the throughput of lactose solids
- In Spring of 2008 Lake Norden Cheese Company completed the expansion of the dry ingredients warehouse which will double the storage capacity
State of the Art:
- 47 PLCs control virtually the entire plant, all capable of communication between each other.
- Automatic reporting is done daily to monitor the efficiency of the plant.
- All products are run through a state of the art lab to check in process numbers so operators can make adjustments as necessary.
- 180 employees are responsible for receiving, processing, packaging, maintaining, and analyzing products.
- 3,000,000 lbs. of milk is received daily.
- Average dairy milks 350 cows.
- Largest milk producer milks over 6,000 cows
- Milk is currently received from 4 state region (SD, MN, IA, NE)
- Four bays unload at a rate of 11,000 lbs. per minute.
- Four 70,000 gal. silos hold 2,500,000 lbs. of milk.
- 4 thirty thousand gal. silos for storage of condensed skim and sweet cream.
- A twenty thousand gal. whey cream silo for storage of whey cream.