About The Jerome Cheese Company
A Division of Davisco Foods International, Inc.
Magic Valley Maid Fine Dairy Products
547 W Nez Perce Jerome, Idaho 83338
Everyday at Jerome Cheese:
- 90+ truckloads of raw milk received
- 15+ truckloads of cheese shipped
- 7+ truckloads of whey powder shipped all over U.S. and overseas.
- An average of 3 loads of cream shipped to butter and ice cream plants across the United States.
- Over 400,000 gal. (about 3,400,000 lbs.) of useable water is produced.
- 5,200,000 lbs. of milk is processed into 520,000 lbs. of cheese.
- Pasteurizer processes 265,000 lbs. of raw milk per hour.
- 13 horizontal cheese vats have the capacity of 55,000 lbs. of milk each.
- 1 Scherping DMM Belt and Salting belt able to process 31,000 pounds of cheese an hour
- 12 Wicanton Block Forming Towers
- PLCs control variables such as pump speed, flow rates, cook time, cook temp, and cultures.
- Lab analyzes cheese in process so operators can adjust cheese make if necessary.
- November of 1997, Jerome Cheese Company completed expanding of its present facility by over 67,000 sq. ft. to include the ability to process Whey Protein Isolate, BiPRO®, a patented Davisco Foods specialty product. We are now able to process Alpha-lactalbumin and Beta-lactoglobulin. The expansion also tripled the warehousing capacity of the plant.
State of the Art:
- 46 PLCs control virtually the entire plant, all capable of communication between each other.
- 250 employees are responsible for receiving, processing, packaging, maintaining, and analyzing products.
- 6,500,000 lbs. of milk received daily from 85 dairies.
- Average dairy milks 950 cows.
- Largest milk producer milks over 8,000 cows.
- Top 10 Jerome cheese milk producers provide over 50 million lbs. of milk.
- All Producers are located within 50 miles of the plant.
- Four bays unload at a rate of 11,000 lbs. per minute.
- Eight 60,000 gal. silos hold 4,000,000 lbs. of milk.
- 3 twenty thousand gal. silos for cream storage when producing fat-free cheese.
- A seven thousand gal. silo for storage of whey cream.